ACCIDENT lost fingers

Dadstoysbg

Had a bad accident at a local club last week end. Starting a 55cc gas without restraints and had the Futaba radio on the wrong model.
Lost three fingers but the hospital was able to re-attach them.
We all know what to do but some times we can get complacent about safety.
I want this to be the last I hear about this happening for the rest of the year.
No need to comment on what should or shouldn't have done. We all know what do to, and he is having a hard time already so lets not beat him into the ground.
This report is to just remind us all to ask for help and think first. We all say this couldn't happen to me, BUT. Dennis

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
That really is an awful accident- I pray whoever it is heals quickly and has use of their hands...

Revy

K, letsgo!!
Happened up here too last week. Nothing lost, but cut pretty bad... it's knarly lookin'. Doug might be able to elaborate better, but dude did it with a 25 sized e-machine!

Karolh

So sorry to hear of this unfortunate occurance, seems to happen too often for my liking. Wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

Karol

i had a 480 size electric in my lap and i bumped the throttle, almost went from a king to a queen instantly,fortunately the prop was not tight and the collet slipped

Dadstoysbg

This is a update on the accident.
He is getting sensation back in his fingers now.
Fingers 1 and 3 will be 1" shorter.
Two of the pins come out next week and the other two the following week.
He is really down on himself after 40 years of flying.
The doctor told him to expect about 50% function in his hand. Dennis

chumley

First - I wish him a speedy recovery

Second - Thanks for NOT posting pics.

And on a humorous note - I watched a guy connect the batteries to a small electric plane with the throttle reversed from in front of the unrestrained plane. The plane (after he cycled the throttle up, then down) went full power right into his stomach. His shirt pretty much took the brunt of the little electric motor, but he did get a few minor scratches. So I say "you should never plug the batteries in while in front of the propeller" . . . he says "yeah, this happened to me before too" . . . my buddy looks at him and says "you didn't learn anything - did ya?"

We all get too comfortable around these planes because they usually work so well. Reminders like this thread may save a life - Thanks OP.

Dadstoysbg

As far as pictures go wouldn't need to. Just look at your own hand and bend your fingers back.
Yes all accidents are always a combination of several things. Never just one. It will probability take him a year of hard work to get the hand to work right, but he is a friend and I told him if he gives up he gets my foot in his ass. Dennis

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter
Had a bad accident at a local club last week end. Starting a 55cc gas without restraints and had the Futaba radio on the wrong model.
Ask the Team Futaba guys. Model Match is totally unnecessary. :yikes:

My best wishes on his recovery. Glad he'll get some use back. Hopefully he'll still be able to fly.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Airtronics has a "standard" feature that if the radio and receiver weren't bound together originally, nothing happens when the plane is turned on.

Had a situation a couple years ago at one of the fields I fly at. There was another event at a Central California field a few years before that almost ended up a fatality for the same reason.
The most recent had guy with a 1/3 Cub and a gasser who had failed to secure the tail of the plane and started it. When the plane did the inevitable and advanced on him he naturally put his hand out to stop it. Three fingers were lost in the following second or so. He's doing fine and still flying, but without a large percentage of three fingers.

I certainly hope things work out at least as well for the person referenced in this thread. So check, check, and check again.

CrashKing

Model airplane = lawn mower with no blade guard.

Keep that in mind and safety will become a deeply ingrained habit.

Although I have compassion for the guy, accidents are preventable.

On of the most effective measures is a checklist. That's one reason the military is big on checklists.

/

BillFromPerth

Live to Fly
If you always do a preflight check you will see if the model is on the right memory It would be verry unlikly that 2 models will be set up that close that you cant tell the difference in the preflight and always restrain the model nomater what size it is.