73" AJ Laser 230Z

Discussion in 'Plane Kits & Frames' started by Tseres, Apr 12, 2015.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above.
  1. May 3, 2015 #41

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Thanks Pam. I hate rushing on a build. I'm always feeling Like I overlooked something.

2. May 4, 2015 #42

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

Got the plane finished up and headed out to the field at 2:30pm. Had my Friends Bob and Perry meet me there. Tom Jr. Also showed up a little later.

The Engine fired right up at home and didn't need much tweaking. The plane looked great and flew great for about 43 seconds. That's when the canopy flew off and ruined my day. It's my fault. I didn't have the latch on all the way and the balsa ripped out. I can tell you this. The plane did not get affected by loosing the cannopy. I made the prettiest 3 point landing that I can remember. Unfortunately the canopy is a write off and I have to order another one. So not much to report on the flying except I felt right at home flying it in a 15mph crosswind. I could tell right away that this is going to be a great flying plane. Hopefully I can get another canopy before I have to leave for Joe Nall.

Attached Files:

3. May 4, 2015 #43

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes Lifetime Supporter

That is one fine looking airplane, one fine looking afternoon, and one fine looking pilot to go with all of it.:thumbsup:
    Sorry about the canopy, and the dent, but congrats for sure with a successful maiden.
    I hope you get a new canopy quickly.

4. May 4, 2015 #44

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Well it came home with almost the same number of parts! Bummer about the canopy, but I'm glad the rest of the plane came home safe!

5. May 4, 2015 #45

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

AJ sent me a message on FB and said hell have one for me at Joe Nall. NICE. That was before I had a chance to call him and ask if he had one. Now that is service.

BRUTUS and Super08 like this.
  6. May 4, 2015 #46

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Wow that is good service.

7. May 24, 2015 #47

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

The Plan for the Laser was to fly it at Joe Nall after I picked up the new Cannopy... My Transmitter was acting up so that never happened. My Friend Dan Landis took it back with him to Hobbyco and got it fixed. New board and an antenna. They even tested it by flying with it for a day. Gave it back to me yesterday with a clean bill of health. Meanwhile I scored a new 14 SG. Now I have two transmitters that work.

Yesterday I was also invited to a fly in and Wedding Reception for Jenni and Greg Alderman. Had a great time all day... The only way I can describe the day was FUN. I managed to program and get 2 flights in with the Laser on the new transmitter. The first flight lasted about 6 minutes and ended in a dead stick landing. I found the plane to nose heavy and ended up moving the batteries back. The CG now is somewhere around the front half of the wing tube. This is where I like it. I'm going to mount it permanently when I get a chance. The second flight with the new CG went to my liking and had a full flight without incident. I'll have to do some knife edge mixing the next time out. It's still not set up but it's getting close.

Attached Files:

BRUTUS likes this.
  8. May 24, 2015 #48

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

Nice radio. Nice plane. Nice wedding. Nice time. :thumbsup:

Tseres likes this.
  9. Aug 19, 2015 #49

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I knew it was something I messed up. Just had to figure out what it was. Instead of creating an exhaust for air. I created an intake because of the way the cowl is shaped. It's as simple as that.

I've been busy and couldn't get to the Laser. First off I want to thank the guys who posted their cowl pictures on Face Book. It confirmed what I was thinking. I closed off the bottom of my cowl with some light ply and opened up the bottom of the fuse in front of the gear. Also put a wall blocking off the air from getting into the fuse. This worked out great. Had two great full flights on the Laser. These were the first 2 full flights since I got the plane. Needless to say I'm Happy. :) I'll be ordering a new cowl next week.

Attached Files:

10. Aug 19, 2015 #50

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

So your engine was overheating and that is why it was dying?

11. Aug 19, 2015 #51

Super08

Super08

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;) Lifetime Supporter

Looks much better.

12. Aug 20, 2015 #52

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

I thought that all along. I just couldn't figure out why. By cutting the big hole in the bottom of the cowl. I created another intake area because of the shape of the cowl. I'm so used to doing things the same way that I couldn't see it even tho it was in front of my nose. I had the plane laying on its side and saw the angle from a different point of view and said HEY! Wait a minute. The cutout is open to the front of the plane and not the bottom. That was when I started suspecting I screwed up. :)

Live and learn.

13. Aug 20, 2015 #53

thepamster

thepamster

thepamster

I want to be like you when I grow up. Lol.

14. Aug 20, 2015 #54

Tseres

Tseres

Tseres

Whiny Old Man

LOL. No you don't. It took me to long to figure it out.:banghead: