50cc electric

10+

Professional Moderator
OK, for 2010 I have a couple birds I want to do and with this newly discovered "build season" I think I may move this one up. budget is a huge concern so I have been tossing this project around for a year or so.

This is what I am thinking so for.

Airframe:
http://www.dietrichaircraft.com/GW_YAK55M/YAK55M.php

http://www.acehobby.com/ace/toc_extra260.htm

Batts:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7639&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_6S1P_15C_

Motor: Hacker A60??????

Esc:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8921&Product_Name=TURNIGY_K-Force_120A-HV_OPTO_5-12S_Brushless_ESC

I am going to use budget servos and standard JR epuipment.

Just in the early planning stages but I think I will buy the airframe first fo the year. and see what prices drop on the E stuff. I think I can do this for about a grand.

What do you guys think? More importantly do you think its possible?

Showtime

Circus Staff
That Deitrich looks bad ass. Is it made by deitrich or are they just distributing them.
Also that is going to cost a lot for batts???? Or have the pricing come down.

10+

Professional Moderator
So just to keep you guys in tune with my thought process. I am gong to build a 1/3 scale WWI bird real soon. (my DLG is almost done) and I will need a 50cc fueled motor for that project So I can find a decent 50cc bird turn key far a grand just about any day of the week. I could use the motor in the Scale project and transform the airframe to electric. Short term it would cost a hair more but I will need the gas motor regardless. So that is one direction I would entertain. So if you have a turn key 50cc shoot me a pm.

Thanks

ProBro Matt-chew

you'll want the hacker a60-18L. turns a 25x12.5 apce. or 25x12 xoar pjn

get the maddog motor mount, he's on rcg. mucho better than the hacker cage.

you can get 20c batts for the same price, turnigy's.

for $20 more you can get the casle 110hv from todds models.

10+

Professional Moderator
That Deitrich looks bad ass. Is it made by deitrich or are they just distributing them.
Also that is going to cost a lot for batts???? Or have the pricing come down.
Deitrich is distributing them and yes the cost of batts is way down. The one I showed is only 58.00 dollars. granted I need two to make a 10S pack but still thats a small fraction of what I paid for a 10S 3000 pack (450.00)

It should be mentioned I have a charger that can handle the larger packs and I have a generator that goes to the field (IF needed).

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
G... That $250 Hacker isn't going to cut it. With only 2600 Watts, your barely strong enough for circle flying on a 16-18 lb airplane.

Try the $59 Turnigy AerodriveXp SK Series 63-64 230Kv / 3150W. This thing should put some lightweight fire in the bird. Weighs near 4 ozs less than the A60 too! Only 1.6 lbs.

Match that up to a pair of series Rhino 4900mAh 5S1P 20C Lipolys at only $64 each, and you're pumping 10S power turning a 24x8 prop for strong 3D performance. 2.8 lbs for the pair of batts.

With this combo, you have only 4.4 lbs in the power system, less than a typical 50cc engine. You're guaranteed a light build if you go this route. Cheap? under 200 bucks buddy!

Last edited:

10+

Professional Moderator
Tman that is AMAZING pricing! That combo for less that the A60. N knew if I just waited long enough it would be affordable. Now Can I fly unlimited all day long NO WAY. I have a gasser for that.

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
G... That $250 Hacker isn't going to cut it. With only 2600 Watts, your barely strong enough for circle flying on a 16-18 lb airplane.

Try the $59 Turnigy AerodriveXp SK Series 63-64 230Kv / 3150W. This thing should put some lightweight fire in the bird. Weighs near 4 ozs less than the A60 too! Only 1.6 lbs.

Match that up to a pair of series Rhino 4900mAh 5S1P 20C Lipolys at only $64 each, and you're pumping 10S power turning a 24x8 prop for strong 3D performance. 2.8 lbs for the pair of batts.

With this combo, you have only 4.4 lbs in the power system, less than a typical 50cc engine. You're guaranteed a light build if you go this route. Cheap? under 200 bucks buddy!
the Hacker A60-18L will rip a 15-16 pound plane. The current shown by Hacker are way conservative.... I had an A60-16M on a 14 pound Tunnel Vision with an 82'ish inch wing... it Ripped it.... with a 22 x 10 APCE Prop

On a 50cc'ish plane... go 12S not 10S.... increase the voltage as the heat comes from the amps....

Oh Yeah... Sean told me with the A60-16M, under 80 amps is OK.....

Call Hacker and ask'em what they recommend.... they will actually talk to you and help.....

I have purchased things from Hobby City... I got two sets of 10S Zippy's... one set after about 10 cycles is Semi-Puffed.... it still puts out ... and never got hot... but it is a little puffy after each flight....

G... as you know... I am fairly careful with my large electric... I have a 10S Thunder Power that is 3 years old and prolly 150 cycles... it too is semi-puffed...but it is well used....

I would buy the Zippy 6S packs... but buy two sets.... (4 batts)
also... my friend at work bought stuff from Hobby City.. small motors and ESC's.... about a 33% failure rate on these things.... they are just so cheap... not worth the hassle of trying to get it replaced....

This is just my commentary about Hobby City... if the motor you buy from them is a problem... is it easy to get replace/repair???
Hacker... you get CS.... and they speak english and they answer the phone.....

IMHO, going the cheap route sometimes has unexpected costs.....

"Right Click" and "Save Target As" and you can see the A60-16M rip a 14 pound plane on 10S

http://www.giantcircus.com/Videos/14MZ_A60_TV.wmv

Sorry... 86 mb :(

JBenson

Circus Staff
I have to agree with Mith on this. Save a little longer and buy quality stuff from people who will support you. The Hobby City stuff is decent for throw away planes. These hardly qualify with what you will have invested in the airframe alone. Another option would be to look at Scorpion. They also have great stuff and Lucien is an awesome guy to deal with.

JB

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Ahhh ha ha ... I just watched the whole vid for the first time in 2 years,,,, I never rip it out of a hover.... but G... I love you man.... I wouldn't steer you wrong.... the A60-16M would rip the TV.... enuff power I could do a 540 with it!!!

but they have an A80 and an A100 too (I think)... for a real live 50cc plane.. that might be a better direction....

ProBro Matt-chew

yep, mithy is right. the hackers are way,way under rated just like eflite, and axi.
the a60-18L is proven, pulls around 80-85amps, swings a 25x12.5, and gets 8-10 min flights on 12s 5000mah.(thats on a 19Lb plane).

the scorpions are getting good reviews, but theyre also soo new in this catagory i'd buy something else first. they've had some quality issues with the first batches. and theyre more expensive than the hacker.

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
Mike makes a good point... the HobbyKing/HobbyCity stuff can be a headache if you have problems and need service. But, Mike is also a Hacker guy, used to be sponsored I think.

I'd say go for the Turnigy motor, and if it doesn't perform, then buy the Name-Brand. Not much lost invested, and if it works you pocket a ton of dough.

A MUCH better choice is the AXI 5320/24. A full 200 grams (7.2 ozs) lighter than the A60, and putting out more power @ 2780 Watts (very conservative) on 10S LiPo. Turns a 22x10 very well, and also cost $250.

Go ballistic, for about the same weight of the A60 with the AXI 5330/18, and make over 4000 Watts on 10s, for $270 a killer quality choice. That motor will go for years, with a great warranty.

Not sure why anyone would buy Hacker when AXI makes a better motor, for about the same price, with lower weights and better performance. Don't get me wrong, Hacker is a great brand, but their line is limited. The AXI is a slightly better quality motor line IMO (I have both), and their performance is excellent. You can burst them 150% of rating all day long and they just keep rock'in.

JBenson

Circus Staff
Tman is correct AXI is another great motor. I have run several of their motors and they have been great. The only complaint I have with them is service. Yes, they have representation here in the states with Hobby-Lobby. but service is still a PITA. I tried to get a new shaft for one of my small foamie motors when it broke off (thanks to Rocky) and they told me that they don't sell shafts and that I would have to send the motor to them and if they thought it was warranted they would sell me a motor for 50% of the MAP. This seemed a little stupid to me. Again, great motors that 99% of the time you won't need service on. But what about when you do...

JB

TManiaci

Engineer
Lifetime Supporter
Tman is correct AXI is another great motor. I have run several of their motors and they have been great. The only complaint I have with them is service. Yes, they have representation here in the states with Hobby-Lobby. but service is still a PITA. I tried to get a new shaft for one of my small foamie motors when it broke off (thanks to Rocky) and they told me that they don't sell shafts and that I would have to send the motor to them and if they thought it was warranted they would sell me a motor for 50% of the MAP. This seemed a little stupid to me. Again, great motors that 99% of the time you won't need service on. But what about when you do...

JB
I have had only one opportunity to use the AXI Warranty with a bad bearing on a new motor out of the box, and Hobby Lobby sent a new one out same day, had it the next. They didn't even ask me to send back the bad one!