3W Twin Spark, Worth the $$$?

Andrew Bird

My 110CS has been insanely good. I got on really well with my DA120 but the 110 just has so much torque and is so much smoother. I'm looking at a 170CSTS for my new plane.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Andrew I have the 170CS single spark and I can tell you it is also a great engine. Just as good as the 110 if not better. Runs smooth as butter.

Andrew Bird

I'm going to build a second Comp arf 3.1 330SC. The original with a DA200 is fantastic but want to build another with the same power but the versatility of a twin so I don't need to worry about it quite so much in 3d. 3w gets a bit of bad press but the 110CS on pipes and redline has just been so smooth, linear and powerful, I want more! I'm thinking the 170 on K&S 1090's should be the ticket. The additional weight of the twin ignitions could be helpful as I want to use the same set up as my current plane and put the rudder servos in the tail.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
I don't recall if I mentioned it but my 210CSTS picks up close to 200 rpm with both ignitions turned on verses only one.

wahoo

Senior Supporter
I'm not an engineer, so maybe someone can enlighten me on why they can only twinspark cylinders of 75cc and larger ?

Tired Old Man

Staff member
I'm not an engineer, so maybe someone can enlighten me on why they can only twin spark cylinders of 75cc and larger ?
Not true, they do them for engines half that size but you wouldn't want to pay the price. Clown is correct in what he says to a point. His pricing structure is way too low.

The limitation is for the modeling public. The deep pocket defense and corporate folks have a wider selection.