3W Twin Spark, Worth the $$$?

aussiesteve

I use futaba on most of the planes I care about but I also know that the 3W branded oil is a very good product.
We can also easily get genuine Jack Daniels sauce here now.

:leaving:

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
I hear Franks Red Hot prevents detonation better. Especially when used in a concentrated mixture. You don't dare allow any detonation out of the exhaust port. The temps get wayyyy too high.

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
LMAO!!! Then he thought that the apple does not fall far from the tree. Fergie had nothing to do with the design of the 106 if I recall. He did tell me he gave them some recommendations to improve the design, but they were not interested in making the changes. TMM was a totally different company that had asked for his fathers assistance when they started out. TMM and GP have nothing in common.
He dont wanna play anymore...... :(

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
The latest version of the TMM 53 I tested was so poorly designed all the reeds would not open up. It had the square reed block with four reeds. The one reed was held closed all the time as it was right against the crankcase.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
I didn't know of any that were not working. Mine runs great but does not have allot of time on it.

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
I have no doubt in my mind that they will be great!! Someone got mad when I was right. Lol!! Really, that is a first. Hehehehe!!!!

ben_beyer

I think the GP engines are pretty good and I'd buy one before I bought a DLE or spent the money for a DA. I would buy a DA 120 if I were going to build one of the Aerotech Hyperlite kits though.

One of the alternatives to putting money into my Dalton was to get a 35% plane and put a GP 123 in it when they come out. However, I have a 89" Slick which is pretty much the size of a 35% and so I'd rather put money into the Dalton.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
I hear Franks Red Hot prevents detonation better. Especially when used in a concentrated mixture. You don't dare allow any detonation out of the exhaust port. The temps get wayyyy too high.
I have more concerns about the fluid leaks that are generated when the temps get too high.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
DLE is as DinkyDao as I get. Are those GP's really any good? Who's got one that still works?
The scale racers are running the chit out of them, turning a bit over 200 mph on the course. The bottom end is a ringer for the maker with the highest groupie following.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Other than the cast crankcase the internal parts are the same or at least made by the same manufacturer.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
I found on my 170CS I had to watch the temps closely for the first couple of gallons. It got hot real easy until it wore in a little.

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
With all this 3W talk I just realized I don't have a 110 in my fleet.....

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
It is not as bad as some think it is. We have an engine weight thread on RCC where we weigh our engines on a postal scale and compare the weights. They are all weighed with the prop washer and bolts, spark plugs, exhaust bolts, but minus the ignition and exhaust. The DLE111 V1 and V2 are both 6.37 lb, the newer V4 is 5.3. The 3W110CS is 6.35 lb. DA100 is 5.91 and 100L 5.72. The DA120 is 4.99. EME120 is 5.27. There are more....
So basically the 3W is the same as the older DL# 111's and less than a half pound more than the old DA100 and just over for the newer DA100L.