3w 150 toc mufflers

Cris

I bought an older but in great shape 150 toc and the mufflers outputs are staggered when in stalled. Both mufflers are exactly the same with no offset. Was that the norm on older 3w 150s? Or do i have say two right or 2 left mufflers? Thanks in advance Cris

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
Hell, I didn't even see the thread until today.

If there were 2 lefts, the stacks would have been offset. If there is a complete set, the stacks will be inline with each other.

Cris

I love sarcasm.
Doesnt everybody Pat? lol At least i got my suspicions confirmed . I have two lefts . Maybe a set of cans are in the future . 3 w mufflers are pricey and impossible to find used it seems. Thanks bunky

Last edited:

Cris

Thanks ill do that . Was there a difference in offset from old style to new style? I believe i have a set of new style mufflers. This my second 3w and im a firm believer in their quality. I bought a rx ready wild hare with a 50cc 3w For 300 bucks at the last club swapmeet. It is the best running engine i have ever had. Then a friend of mine thats in his 80s sold me this 3w 150 toc in a scratch built 144 inch stick for 300 bucks. ( i guess 300 is the magic number for a used 3w lol ) Im sold on 3w now.Thanks again for the help guys.

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
There shouldn't be a huge difference in offset between old and new. The offset is in where the exhaust mounts. I built a set of 150 mufflers, and had them welded up. I didn't get the offset exact, but it doesn't bother me. After all, it is the bottom of the airplane!

BTW- I'm an all 3W flyer, outside of a EME 120, and a BME 116 which is for sale!

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Cris,

I didn't look at your post until after you had found what you needed to know. As for the sarcasm, sure, we all participate ans some more that others. I'm a master at it;)

As for the mufflers, the only impact using two of the same side will provide is in cosmetics. If you don't mind an offset on the bottom of the plane, the plane or the engine won't know the difference. If I was setting up and otherwise had all I needed and wasn't inclined to spend more $$ I'd just use them. Done that before.

The mufflers provided with our engine are not performance enhancers for the most part. Some custom after market stuff can add or subtract a little. Usually subtract but not add. All they do is relocate the exit location of the exhaust gasses and slightly change the tone of the exhaust process. Where actual sound level is concerned the propeller's blade/tip shape and tip speed will have a much greater impact on sound reduction than a muffler will.

3w makes good stuff so I'm pretty sure you'll like the performance with a matched set of mufflers or two of a kind;)

Cris

Thanks pat. Thanks for the offer on the muffflers Class clown . Here are a couple pictures of what i have. Really the only reason i want to do this is im building a new 40 percent 260 and since i have the time i want it to look good. I know its trivial but its a curse i have. The pictures show them mounted both ways. I think these are supersonic mufflers?

Attachments

Classclown

Those are 3W. Yeah, you can't have a plane with that looking all goofy like that. I am at a BBQ, don't know when I will get home. I have to fetch it out of a box, I hope it works for you. Let you know when I get it out, I'll take pictures. Get pictures of the side view if you don't mind.

Classclown

Uh.... Looks like you have the right and left hand suckers right there. Mount them on the proper cylinders, and they should be correct.

Cris

Look at the previous mounted pictures . There are staggered no matter what side they are mounted on.

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
Yep, those looks like older SuperSonics. I don't recall if they were offset that poorly not not....... I have a set on a 157 in the basement, and can check on later.

Cris

That would be great thanks., I was looking at some JA mufflers and they line up almost perfect.

Last edited:

Bunky f. knuckle

Cover shot, MA 10/09!!!
Just looked at my 157. Mufflers not there. I then remembered that I put them on my 150, which is on my MX2. My home built's line up closer than I remembered. Even the older SS's on my 106 don't line up like I think they should. It isn't a great big deal to me if the stacks don't line up. It is just a matter of where they lay in the maniflods at.

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Might call Gerhard but an FYI. The muffs that came with my 110 have a built in splay no matter how mounted. Both stacks flare to the outside of the cylinder heads a little. Looks a little funny but what the heck. Perhaps 3w has had some alignment issues with their muffler vendor?

Cris

Thanks for all the help guys. i know its a trivial thing i just thought if i could just get one muffler id try it. I heard the 3w 150 responds well to cans maybe thats an option as well . I know an expensive one but still may be the route i go.