3DHS Velox

Ground Pounder

After looking for a year I finally found an electric that seemed to be a good 3D beater........of course everything is a beater to me. I’ve done everything from 38” & 48” foamies to the 55” 3DHS SHP Extra 300 and the 60” Inspire. All good but there has been a lot of progress over the last 12 months. After looking at a number of videos and talking to a couple of knowledgeable people I decided to try the 68" Velox.

The kit arrived with a large lugged boot mark on the box. Obviously it was used as a stepping stool. The canopy was cracked but Ben shipped me a new on the next day. Overall the packaging was excellent.

These are the standard glamour shots.

BTW this will be a general overview that covers just key details. I don’t plan to go stuff like gluing in control horns or hinges etc

Attachments

Ground Pounder

One of the major changes in this bird is that the directions clearly state that the covering is left on the center section of the stab and glued into the fuse as is.

First I taped off the center section and took a pin and punched 2 dozen holes in the center section of the top and bottom. I then really anchored the covering down with my iron.

It was a snug (but perfect) fit into the fuse. Alignment with the wing was excellent and it only took a few minutes to have it centered.

I used thin CA to glue it down. It worked perfectly. I then took some medium CA and laid in a second coat with a little kicker where required.

Overall the results were excellent. Much quicker and easier that the typical process.

I then glued in the horns and hinged the surfaces.

That's it for day one.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ground Pounder

A Scorpion 4025-12 with a Castle Ice 100 turning a APC/Xoar 18 x 8. Using 20C Turnigy 6S-5000. Gets about 8 1/2 minutes per flight.

If this doesn't work I'll use the bats for arc welding almost anything in the neighborhood.

All per recommendation of Ben at 3D. He commented that using a smaller bat tends to make the plane a bit too "floaty" in breezy weather. Wing area is almost the same as the 70" Slick but it is roughly 1/2 pound lighter. The 70" Slick is an excellent ship but the Velox is better at 3D.

Attachments

Ground Pounder

Yes. I started working witn Ben about three years ago. A great guy and highly motivated.

He sold me one of the very first Torque 4014s (had not been announced yet) in the USA for my old 60" Inspire. Went from a E-flite motor and a 6S pack to the Torque and a 5S pack. Performance increase was huge.

Ground Pounder

How was the test flight Bill?
Started yesterday and flew it early this morning. 9 flights. A great bird!

Decided I want to try another plane so I posted it for sale on FG at 8:45. Showtime bought it at 8:57. Got it to him late this morning. He got 11 flights on it and loves it. The Scorpion 4025 out pulls his 170 (per ST).

Show's attention drifted toward a 75% bird so he just listed it for sale on FG. Due to a very good bit of luck a buyer in Istanbul spoted the ad and bought the plane. Show is overnighting it this afternoon.

The buyer mentioned something about combat survalance???

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
11:15 Zulu Time....

Reaper Unmanned Air Vehicle fired one Sidewinder missile over instanbule and downed latest generation istanbul UAV.
Extensive lithium fire detected in BDA pass....

Racer X

I was looking at these hope it is a good one
It's a great one, Ron. I've been flying mine for about a month now and can't believe how well it flies. The thing does everything I ask of it, even stuff I didn't know I could do. Upright, inverted, knife edge, spins, rolls....It just doesn't matter.

Ground Pounder

Racer X (Pete) is the guy that first alerted me to the Velox. Pete is a good stick and was very point blank about how well it flew. In addition his brother Rob has helped me with a few key suggestions on the set up for my Castle Ice 100 ESC.

Once I wrap up the build I will detail the ESC settings. I suspect that a discussion on 3D esc settings would benefit those of us that enjoy electrics.

Ground Pounder

Finished up most of the build items yesterday. Electrical starts today. There are a couple of nice touches to the kit.

First they include a cover plate for the CF landing gear area.

Second is that 3D includes hardwood spacers to get the proper prop clearance for the cowl.

Almost forgot to mention how nice the CF LG and wheel pants went together. A clean simple design that works extremely well.

Attachments

Last edited: