26% Skybolt Build N11NN

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Only one thing to do- Git 'er Done! No use waffling on this or that- get her build and make sure to post pictures of your progress! We all love a good build thread!

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Ok... Here's the deal. I started this thing and really got bummed when I realized I'm gonna have an ugly ol 50 sized jug hanging down out of the cowl.

I'm trying to come up with a good blown up size ratio to utilize a DA100/110/150/170 etc.

At 1/4 scale this thing has a 78" wing span so you can imagine the monstrous size of a forty.

I'm leaning towards a 37.5% because the stock wood sizes translate X 1.5 (1/4" becomes 3/8")

35% = 109" ws
37.5% = 117" ws
40% = 125" ws

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
Will a small twin fit in the cowl. It was such a nice project you had going.

david010567

aka Schlawiener
Will a small twin fit in the cowl. It was such a nice project you had going.
Possibly with some of the newer little twins coming out.

This project is a lot of work, and at the end of the day I've got a smallish little gasser to bring to the field. I'm now really thinking it's not much if any more effort to bring this Skybolt to a 40ish size beast that will definitely fly and look a whole lot better.

david010567

aka Schlawiener
I've been looking at some of the construction techniques used in the 50% Exclusive Modelbau Christian Eagle that are by FAR better than this Skybolt.

Attachments

Super08

Official DA Fanboy ;)
Lifetime Supporter
A couple of my online friends here in Canada have build their kits. Trevor built the 58% Pitts which is about the same thing and Brad just maidened the 50% Ultimate this spring. Both are wonderful flying planes.

Attachments

Mithrandir

Circus Staff
Lifetime Supporter
Ok... Here's the deal. I started this thing and really got bummed when I realized I'm gonna have an ugly ol 50 sized jug hanging down out of the cowl.

I'm trying to come up with a good blown up size ratio to utilize a DA100/110/150/170 etc.

At 1/4 scale this thing has a 78" wing span so you can imagine the monstrous size of a forty.

I'm leaning towards a 37.5% because the stock wood sizes translate X 1.5 (1/4" becomes 3/8")

35% = 109" ws
37.5% = 117" ws
40% = 125" ws
For a 170, anything over about a 100" wing and 40 pounds is gonna be a pig....
Notice the new Ulti that AW came out with is significantly smaller than the original....

Bipes have more drag as well... so an even thinner wing is beneficial....

IMHO, the skybolt is the prettiest of the Bipes....

bobt2

still loves balsa
searching the web for skybolt builds. thinking of starting a hostelter skybolt build for electric conversion. still trying to put all the ideas together. imo, the hardest will be a quick change battery plan. plans should be here next week. this will be a winter project.

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
I'll +1 the 60 twin. Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good bi-plane with a motor instead of an engine?
Ok... Just an opinion...

bobt2

still loves balsa
i have pleanty of gas burners. this would be too small for my taste. but i need a kit to get me thru the cold and i am playing more with electric.i have a 70"extra on 6 cells that flies rings around the 30 cc dle version.

thepamster

The Mistress of Biplanes
Lifetime Supporter
My mistake. I should have "reread" the last couple of pages here before posting as i commented on two seperate posts from two different people which had nothing to do with each other. My bad. It was late.

bobt2

still loves balsa
well, i got the plans. after much coffee, i deceided this is not going to work for me.oh well, if someone wants a set of plans for 1/2 price, let me know. i have settled on a 33% decathlon for gas and i,m going for a rimfire 65cc in the 1/3 super cub......