2.4GHz Upgrade for the QQ Yak 86"

Discussion in 'Giant RC Plane Forum' started by TManiaci, Mar 25, 2012.

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating:

1. May 4, 2012 #21

fzappa

fzappa

fzappa

Do you know how much power do the RX uses?

2. May 4, 2012 #22

TManiaci

TManiaci

TManiaci

Engineer Lifetime Supporter

Mike, I think he is asking about the HV input regulation. A regulator dissipates heat as it regulates the voltage to the desired level. The greater the in-out voltage differential, the more heat there is to dissipate. It's not about how much the Rx consumes in current. If a regulator is working too hard, and is not provided with adequate heat sink capacity, bad stuff usually results...

3. May 4, 2012 #23

fzappa

fzappa

fzappa

Yes, that's it.

Thanks Mr.

F.

4. May 4, 2012 #24

TManiaci

TManiaci

TManiaci

The answer depends on the specific parts used in the circuits, and the mechanical design for heat dissipation. This is likely where the Rx manufacturers find their voltage limits in their specifications. These limits are normally only estimates until there is ample testing to assure proper design.

This argues that a 5V Regulator, like a Fromeco Sahara Regulator.
    sahara.jpg

Notice the big heat sink? This reg. will take up to 10V input.

5. May 4, 2012 #25

fzappa

fzappa

fzappa

So, that's why so important to know how much heat the Rx can dissipate. But that information Futaba doesn't gave it to us. They just say, up to 6v, so if i put 7.4v (in the old ones) how much time i have until the Rx fries.

F.

6. Jul 11, 2012 #26

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

So, the MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION:

Did it fly yet?

7. Apr 15, 2014 #27

TManiaci

TManiaci

TManiaci

Well, it has been two years since I spent all this money to upgrade this beautiful airplane to 2.4GHz. In all of that time, this thing never made it to the field for any flying. Just a month after this was completed, some significant things changed in my personal life that caused me to have far less free time. In serving those demands, I have no free time any more. With all of the old SoCal Circus crew disbanded, and nobody local to fly with, the motivation to make the time has gone. This baby has been sitting idle all this time.

So, I made the decision to sell it off before time became the enemy and started to destroy the bird. I put it up on RCU and after dropping the price twice, I found a buyer that is excited to steal an original QQ Somenzini 86" Yak. This was #1 off the production lines. I got this airplane from Reza, QQ's SoCal rep at the time it was released. I did a big thread here on TFC before one of the website transfers, where the thread was lost. This was the Front Page News picture on the build thread. I had some 300-odd pictures of the build with detailed build notes. I was really bummed when all that work was dumped.

QQ86FPN.jpg

I have agonized over this decision, but there is a significant investment in this pristine airplane that is wasting away. It's all good now, but time will start to eat away at it. So, I am building the crate now, and it's going to make a trek to New Jersey next week. I could have parted this thing out and made probably another $500, but that's okay. I would rather see it fly again as it sits. I am going to use the proceeds to fund another gun for my collection, probably an M1A or a Kimber compact carry 45ACP...

This airplane was a pleasure to fly, light and nimble. It was the first 50cc airplane I had seen anywhere with canister exhaust. People thought I was silly to do that, until they saw it perform better than any DA50 on stock muffs. I'll miss her hanging from my garage ceiling... but she will see the sky once more. That's a good thing.

8. Apr 15, 2014 #28

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

BRUTUS

Plank Junky Lifetime Supporter

Dang T, it's another sad day! I hope whatever is stealing your free time eases up.

9. Apr 15, 2014 #29

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

The aquisition of more guns, and the never ending quest for more ammo's, what's taking up all his time! :)

10. Apr 15, 2014 #30

TManiaci

TManiaci

TManiaci

HaHa, you think?

Fighting the Zombie Apocalypse would be pretty difficult with a 50cc airplane. A few firearms and a pile of ammo is definitely a better defense.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  11. Apr 16, 2014 #31

Classclown

Classclown

Classclown

Unfortunately, the zombie apocalypse is here.... the government is the zombie apocalypse. :ack: