• Aeroworks Extra 260

• Extreme Flight 300

• Great Planes Extra 330S

• Hangar 9 Sukhoi 26MM

• Hempel Yak 55

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

ben_beyer

I'm currently building a Dalton Extra 300. I've had the kit for 4 years and I'm still not done. I work on it when I have time and I have fun doing it, just not as much time to devote to it as I want. I'm seriously thinking about getting a 150cc ARF that I can put all the stuff I'd put in the Dalton and then when I actually do finish it, just move it over and have a back up plane.

I'm really interested in the AW Extra 260, EF Extra 300, and I've looked at a few others. I haven't decided on an engine so it could be just a DA 150 or possibly even a 3W 170CS and everything in between. My plan for the Dalton is 2 aileron servos on each wing, 1 aileron servo on each elevator, and 2 servos on the rudder in a push/pull config. So is there anything else that really stands out as a possibility for a 150cc ARF using these components?

I mostly fly 3D. I'd like to do more IMAC, but I'll end up driving 8 hours at least each way for a contest other than the one in Midland. Just not sure I'm going to have time for it.

BRUTUS

Plank Junky
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the Circus Ben!

I voted for the EF extra, but the Pilot Yak would be another fantastic option.

BENCHASON

3D Farm Hand
Brutimus said:
Welcome to the Circus Ben!

I voted for the EF extra, but the Pilot Yak would be another fantastic option.
True, you can't go wrong with either one. And welcome

ben_beyer

I've been here a little while but didn't drop by much for a few years for some reason. I'm going to hopefully be around more from now on.

Dean Bird

Lifetime Supporter
I'm really interested in the AW Extra 260, EF Extra 300, and I've looked at a few others. I haven't decided on an engine so it could be just a DA 150 or possibly even a 3W 170CS and everything in between. My plan for the Dalton is 2 aileron servos on each wing, 1 aileron servo on each elevator, and 2 servos on the rudder in a push/pull config. So is there anything else that really stands out as a possibility for a 150cc ARF using these components?

I mostly fly 3D. I'd like to do more IMAC, but I'll end up driving 8 hours at least each way for a contest other than the one in Midland. Just not sure I'm going to have time for it.
A used DA 150 is an awesome value right now. Get one of them and order the MX2 by March 31st.

http://www.carf-models.com/public_carf/pages/shop/sale.html

It's on special for $1,880 until Sunday!! That's an awesome deal on an ARF that will last forever. :thumbsup:

You can get a new airplane flying quickly and for way less than usual.

Jaybird

Wishin' I was at the farm
ben_beyer said:
I'm currently building a Dalton Extra 300. I've had the kit for 4 years and I'm still not done. I work on it when I have time and I have fun doing it, just not as much time to devote to it as I want. I'm seriously thinking about getting a 150cc ARF that I can put all the stuff I'd put in the Dalton and then when I actually do finish it, just move it over and have a back up plane.

How bout the 40% H9 Suk? That is smokin deal right now. I think around 1300-1400 bucks.

Jaybird

Wishin' I was at the farm
Dean Bird said:
It would definitely need the 170 for 3D.

There were two at the IMAC contest last weekend. It looked like they flew really nice.
I thought they were coming out 38 pounds or so. Ive never had a 40% but i thought a 150 should handle that huh?

ben_beyer

A used DA 150 is an awesome value right now. Get one of them and order the MX2 by March 31st.

http://www.carf-models.com/public_carf/pages/shop/sale.html

It's on special for $1,880 until Sunday!! That's an awesome deal on an ARF that will last forever. :thumbsup:

You can get a new airplane flying quickly and for way less than usual.
My only problem with the composites is repairing them. Molden is golden though...

Either way, I have to wait on my bonus next month to pull the trigger, but will think about it over the next few days. I'm not opposed to buying a 170, I just haven't completely decided what motor I'm going to get. Might just get a DA 150, might get something more.

Classclown

Got a link to that one?
Still no info on the web site. Still the old one. The old version flies great with the DA150, better with the 170. You will need 3 aileron servo's, unless you sheet the ailerons, the plane comes out at 39-40lbs if assembled on the light side, but even if you go heavier, even at 41-42lbs, it will still fly great since it's got a 3000sq inch wing area. I don't know when the new versions come out, as the factory just got the initial batch of 50cc and 100cc Edges out the door, and in a container last week. But Herve did release color scheme pics a few weeks ago here on TFC, and FlyingFags.

ben_beyer

Would the AW 260 do OK with just 2 aileron servos or does it need 3 to prevent flexing and flutter?

Is the H9 Sukhoi the same situation?

Tired Old Man

Staff member
Welcome to the Circus Ben. Been quite a spell since you and I conversed about anything.

I don't know what your feelings are about other engine products but the comments about a 170 on a 3d plane are not off base. GP makes a solid engine product from all the reports out there, and goes for a bit under the American made engine. Perhaps low enough to compete price wise with a used DA 150. Taiwan, not China. It's something to consider.

You missed the Pilot line of aircraft in your selections. I have a feeling the Pilot factory is the maker of at least one, possibly more, of your initial choices so the quality of the others is also obtained in the Pilot line. They fly absolutely great. Another plus is the pricing can be a bit lower.

In any case, enjoy your final choices. It's all about fun so keep the decision making stresses to a minimum and go with what makes you feel the best. The best flying plane will be the one you fly the most, and you'll fly that one more because you liked it more from the beginning.

Pat