TeamFlyingCircus - Giant RC Plane Forum > Sponsor Section > Sponsor Display > WWRC A123 Thread

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
WrongWay

Liked 131 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Default WWRC A123 Thread

Well as a vendor here on TFC I never thought of having a thread where I can show my A123 products, new ideas, have discussions on the batteries.... anything for WWRC A123 equipment.

There are many different combination of battery setups in my shopping cart here.

Wrong Way RC - KavaRootUSA and WrongWayRc

All battery orders are custom built and vigorously tested before they go out the door. I would not send a pack that I would not fly myself in one of my favorite planes.

As a back-ground.... we got in to the A123 and RC hobby soon after it started (I am always curious and played with them right after Dick Hanson started posting his results)... I have now been manufacturing the packs since about 2008... The WWRC quality is there, the batteries are great.

We also highly recommend the Cellpro brand of chargers. I have seen many chargers work on A123 and most of them are just great, but the Cellpro brand really is close to the top of the line, so I got on with them as a dealer and stock a variety of their chargers.

Thanks for stopping in... there should be some interesting stuff in this thread as time goes on.

WrongWayRc

Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
WrongWay

Default Re: WWRC A123 Thread

Here is a starter.

A little informational vid on different applications for A123. I use these field packs now for many months... beats the heck out of lugging the big car battery around the flight line.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
GravyGoodness
Huck-O-What?

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Great! I have very much considered switching over to A123 batteries just because of all the good things I've heard about them, mainly yours. Of course it seems like everybody I know uses yours, but guys on here are who I keep in contact with.

I have really enjoyed using Li-Ion/Li-Po technology with all the HV servos I'm running. I like the speed and the power available on 7.4v. Since I have so much invested in the servos, I'd hate to lose the performance with a lower voltage pack. I know a fully charged 7.4v pack is actually 8.4, so what is the "real" fully charged voltage of the A123 batteries?

I am also under the impression that I need an A123 specific charger, I can't use the Li-Po setting on my Triton? Really, that may seem stupid, but I can charge my Li-Ions on the Li-Po setting with no issues.

Are they any more/less sensitive to vibration or heat than other Lixx battery formulations? I know cold is not an issue with them

I know it's a bunch of questions, but I have really weighed the options or re-equipping my fleet and I'm pleased to have a place to get information.

Thanks

EDIT:

With Li-Po batteries, at the end of the day I dis/recharge to get 60% of capacity for storage. Is this required on A123?

Homesick for the Farm....

Old 11-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Flatspinjim

Liked 45 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've bought A123 batteries and Cell Pro chargers from Richard and I have to say the prices and service are top notch!!

Old 11-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
WrongWay

""o what is the "real" fully charged voltage of the A123 batteries?""

They top off at 7.2v. Once resting they will come down to just over 7. Now once you draw some juice they very quickly go down to 6.6v and stay there for somewhere close to 80% of their capacity

""I need an A123 specific charger, I can't use the Li-Po setting on my
Triton? ""

I dont have a Triton but depending on the model I am told that you can modify the termination voltage setting and it works the same on liion charge. A123 is a type of lithium battery, just different chemistry. FWIW, I have had Triton customers at the field who see the Cellpro charger in action and you will never guess what happened? I have the factory refurbs (not much longer) that are in the mid $30 range that is world class for A123 and lipo.

""Are they any more/less sensitive to vibration or heat than other Lixx battery formulations? I know cold is not an issue with them""

Consider that the battery was initially designed to be used in power tools. I dont know about you, but when I worked construction years ago.... guys were dropping their power tools off of roofs... Further, these cells were designed to be used at 10c in these power tools. High discharge rate, high recharge rate. In our model airplanes it is rare that we are using them much above 1C and when that happens, it might be momentary in a maneuver.

Having said all of that above, it you clamp down any battery on your engine box with no vibration dampening material, you will be taking your chances with failure rates above normal. When we build the packs we use the highest quality solder, and build the wiring with strain relief so that vibration issues are at the minimum. Very good success with it to date.

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyGoodness View Post
Great! I have very much considered switching over to A123 batteries just because of all the good things I've heard about them, mainly yours. Of course it seems like everybody I know uses yours, but guys on here are who I keep in contact with.

I have really enjoyed using Li-Ion/Li-Po technology with all the HV servos I'm running. I like the speed and the power available on 7.4v. Since I have so much invested in the servos, I'd hate to lose the performance with a lower voltage pack. I know a fully charged 7.4v pack is actually 8.4, so what is the "real" fully charged voltage of the A123 batteries?

I am also under the impression that I need an A123 specific charger, I can't use the Li-Po setting on my Triton? Really, that may seem stupid, but I can charge my Li-Ions on the Li-Po setting with no issues.

Are they any more/less sensitive to vibration or heat than other Lixx battery formulations? I know cold is not an issue with them

I know it's a bunch of questions, but I have really weighed the options or re-equipping my fleet and I'm pleased to have a place to get information.

Thanks

EDIT:

With Li-Po batteries, at the end of the day I dis/recharge to get 60% of capacity for storage. Is this required on A123?

Old 11-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #6
WrongWay

Forgot to answer your edit question. At the end of the day I usually top off my batteries as I am dismantling the plane and wiping it down. The packs can be left fully charged, I have come back weeks... sometimes months later and found that when I tried to top them off they may take 10 to 15 mAh.

Here is the data sheet for the 2300 cells. Notice the operating temp goes from -30c to +60c, in F temp that is -22 to 140. At the bottom of the operating range, like any battery the capacity will be reduced somewhat.
Attached Thumbnails
ANR26650M1A-Datasheet-APRIL-2009 copy.jpg  

Old 11-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #7
WrongWay

This vid has always been a favorite. Back in 06 and 07 this drag bike was setup with the A123-2300 cells. In one of the vid articles they actually mention that they warm the packs up to 140 degrees so they give off better energy when demanded.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
yakken

Liked 39 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So is there going to be a black Friday sale.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
WrongWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakken View Post
So is there going to be a black Friday sale.
Actually yes... we are Black Friday 365...

Old 11-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #10
yakken

Liked 39 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay View Post
Actually yes... we are Black Friday 365...
I hear ya bro, I am goin to be in the market for some more a123 batts. I will check you guys out.