TeamFlyingCircus - Giant RC Plane Forum > Giant Scale RC Plane Forums > Plane Electronics & Batteries > I hate Gyros!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #21
calypso

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Re: I hate Gyros!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson View Post
I meant IN an airplane.
Nope, it would be a blast though. However, I have flown an F-14 and an F-117 on separate occasions in actual military full motion simulators but that's as close as I've come to full scale aerobatics.

Actual Fake News:
Obama not born in USA.
Obama is muslim.
Obama will impose sharia law.
Obama will confiscate all guns.
Obama will cause double-dip recession.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #22
kwilson
Gold Member

Liked 248 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Yes, aside from Expo (which I have slowly been removing) I don't use dual rates or mixing

But to each his own.
Just depends on flying style. 3d rates are going to be a lot higher than precision on the elev and rudder. If you have a dual purpose plane then dual rates are almost mandatory. On my 3d plane, only need one rate. On my IMAC plane, I have 3 flight conditions: 1 for general flight, 2 for rollers (less aileron and more rudder and elevator), and 3 for landing (more elevator and rudder and idle down).
To me, mixing is just for fine tuning out bad tendencies. Back in the day, we had to make physical adjustments to the plane to overcome bad flight characteristics.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #23
kwilson
Gold Member

Liked 248 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso View Post
Nope, it would be a blast though. However, I have flown an F-14 and an F-117 on separate occasions in actual military full motion simulators but that's as close as I've come to full scale aerobatics.
It is!! I flew the IAC sportsman sequence in an Extra 300 and it was amazing. The stick has no centering and the ailerons are as light as you can imagine. The mixing just comes natural when you are in the plane because of your perspective and feel.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #24
BRUTUS
Plank Junky
TFC_ADMIN.png

Liked 313 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 693

Gyros are stabilization enhancers. Most "drones" aka quad copters have a minimum of three gyros that control pitch, yaw, and roll. They make flying highly unstable platforms easier by doing most of the work. Some even have self-leveling. But, there is a certain demographic that likes to use them in fixed wing platforms, like our airplanes. Some are too...infirm to operate aircraft themselves. Some have sight issues, orientation issues, or general lack of ability. For competitive people use of a gyro is akin to cheating on a test. Similar to traction control or antilock brakes in a car. Great for people that lack the subtleties of precision driving. While it does help overall performance it coddles to those who lack natural ability. Driving a computer shaped like a car is not the same as driving a Ferrari F-40.

My comments are generalizations and not definitive arguments. The comparison between cars and aircraft is somewhat strained. A good pilot can do anything in an airplane a gyro does. Traction control in a car does what the driver cannot such as putting power to whatever tire has traction, or to whatever wheels are pressed hardest into the road.
Angie Likes This