TeamFlyingCircus - Giant RC Plane Forum > Giant Scale RC Plane Forums > Plane Kits & Frames > CARF-Models 2013 Series 3.1m Extra 330SC

Help Support Team Flying Circus by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #531
Dean Bird
TFC_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default CARF-Models 2013 Series 3.1m Extra 330SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Bird View Post
The next contest on the calendar was the return of Coachella hosting a scale aerobatics contest. It was great to see them back on the schedule.
How they roll in Coachella.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chilling in Coachella.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	606.4 KB
ID:	68339

Old 03-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #532
Dean Bird
TFC_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Our February contest scheduled for the weekend of February 18th was rained out. That was the "storm of the decade" that brought 5 - 10" of rain to Southern California and caused flooding in Texas.
The rescheduled IMAC Winter Roundup at Felix Ranch was held last weekend. The weather was supreme!! Sunshine, high 70s, and winds variable between 0 and 2 mph.

It is SO much fun to fly in calm conditions. So much less to think about. The first round I flew the best two Known sequences I have done this year. Super smooth and super clean.

The competition is always close. It's a blast competing with friends. At the end of the day Saturday it looked like the Unknown would be critical (as usual). My flying buddy Jim McCall flew his first Advanced class contest in January and won the Unknown. I needed to do better this time.

We know it's all the caller. I had his expert caller, Jacques Telles call for both of us. He did an awesome job for both of us. I flew a smooth Unknown and only missed one of the six snap rolls. It was a downline 45 and the lack of airspeed caught me and I got the sticks back to center too soon. It was just good enough to take the Unknown by the slim margin of less than 16 points out of 1,000. In my book that's a tie.

It came down to the last round on Sunday and I was able to get the win.

Name:	2017-03-25 Winter Roundup at Felix Ranch.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	68403

Cayden Bruce won the Sportsman class flying his CARF-Models Extra 330SC in the Yellow Chequer Scheme.

Spencer Nordquist won the Unlimited class flying his Romanian Scheme Extra 330SC.

Congrats to all the pilots on a great weekend!!

I hope to see everyone at the Cactus Classic in two weeks.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #533
Dean Bird
TFC_SUPPORTER.png

I flew a rescheduled contest two weeks ago and really had no business flying at the Cactus Classic last weekend. I wanted to be watching the Masters and we're buying a house this week and moving at the end of the week. My "to do" list before the move is very long.

I was asked to assist running the Cactus Classic for our friend and flying buddy, Rusty Fried, who is undergoing cancer treatment right now. He was the CD of record so I put him on speaker phone each morning to run the Pilot's Meeting from his house. Rusty, you have all our best wishes for a successful treatment and recovery.

We had a 5 pilot Advanced class with my flying buddy Craig Guest, everyone's friend Randy Wegner, super cool dude Jim McCall, and the life of the freestyle cheering party Randy Dreyer. All are great pilots with lots of contest experience.

I had a rough Saturday. During the second sequence of my first round I visually went right through another plane while I was on a downline. I spent the 2nd half of the sequence running through all the questions of, "How much is this going to cost? How long would it take to get a new airframe? How bad will my engine be damaged? What equipment will I be able to send in for repairs? I'm moving this week so how long will it take to get a workbench set up?" Needless to say that sequence wasn't good.

The afternoon round had the wind unexpectedly blowing 10 - 12 mph from the Northwest. It was predicted to be blowing from the Southwest which is perfect for the normal direction I do my stall turn. As my plane is slowing down at the top of the upline I start to have a little discussion with myself about whether to pivot the opposite direction so the wind will help or go my normal direction. As I'm considering my options I pull off a nice tailslide. It's a good thing we have throw away rounds.

At the end of a very competitive Day 1 three different pilots had won a Known round. I was very happy to be in 3rd place.

Name:	CC Day one.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	68446

Randy Dreyer flies very smooth and very consistent. I knew I would have to win all three sequences on Sunday to have a chance to catch him.

With all the great pilots in this class the Unknown was no help in making any moves. For the 5 pilots there was one pilot with a zero on one maneuver. The other four pilots scored from 972 to 1,000. I won the Unknown round but the standings hadn't changed.

Name:	CC Unknown.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	68447

The sleeper in the class was Jim McCall. He was close to the top 3 even though he was carrying an 896 in his score at the moment. Watch out for those situations. At the same time I'm trying to catch the lead I need to try to protect 3rd place.

It was SO COOL knowing that the top four pilots after the Unknown could all finish anywhere between 1st and 4th place at the end. The final round was ON!!

I won the first sequence in the final round and Jim McCall flew a 998.9. That's a tie. I won the second sequence in the round to Randy Dreyer's 976.

Name:	CC Final.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	68448

It was just enough to get the win.

Name:	2017-04-08 Cactus Classic.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	68449

What a blast flying and competing with these good friends and great pilots. I know Randy Dreyer is a better pilot than me. I just happen to have a superior airplane. This plane flies awesome and even Unlimited pilots are telling me how strong the uplines are with this rebuilt engine. SO much fun to fly this plane.

Cayden Bruce got another win in the Sportsman class flying his Yellow Chequer Scheme Extra 330SC. Congrats Cayden!!

Old 05-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #534
Dean Bird
TFC_SUPPORTER.png

There was a nasty cold front that moved through Southern California last weekend. That didn't stop about 24 crazy pilots form attending the Hemet Model Masters IMAC contest.

We ran a single flight line. With intermittent rain delays on Saturday we finished one Known round at 2:45 PM and called it a day.

There were five pilots in our Advanced class. All I missed in the first sequence was one point of my four point roll. That earned a 986 for that sequence.

I've been struggling to mentally picture the right visual queue for stopping the 1.5 positive snap entrance to our Immelmann. In the second sequence I thought I saw it and got the sticks back to center. This plane stops the snap as soon as the sticks are back to center and I happened to be at knife edge instead of inverted. That was definitely a throw away round.

Randy Dreyer flew his normal smooth, high quality, sequences and took both Known sequences.

Name:	HMM Day one.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	68483

Sunday had another dicey forecast. We had a window without rain that would allow us to fly one round that included our Unknown followed by another Known sequence. That would allow us to drop one of our three Known sequences.

I had the 986 that I could use in my final score. If I could win the Unknown round by more than 14 points that would be Randy's final score after adding the Unknown to his two Known sequence wins.

Randy and I called for each other in this combined Unknown/Known flight. We practiced with each other the evening before and Sunday morning and discussed all the things to do to ensure we scored our best. We were both very well prepared. It was the most relaxed I've ever been calling and flying an Unknown. We had a great time cheering each other on during the flights and enjoying the high quality flying.

I managed to squeak by Randy in the Unknown by 19 points. His maximum total score was 2,481. If I could win the Known sequence in this round I would finish with a 2,486. It would be another Sunday comeback.

We both had high quality Known flights. I knew I had a chance to take the Known and win the contest by 5 points. The final score showed I didn't autorotate the positive snap on one of our downlines. The zero I earned in that maneuver gave me a 940 for the sequence. I finished in 2nd place.

Name:	2017-05-06 Hemet Model Masters IMAC.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	68484

Close competition with friends is a blast!! I had a great time cheering for Randy as he got the winner's trophy. Congrats RD!!!!

Cayden Bruce got another win in the Sportsman class flying his Yellow Chequer Scheme Extra 330SC. Congrats Cayden!! Cayden talked about flying in the World Championships next year. He should do well.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #535
Dean Bird
TFC_SUPPORTER.png

This was the "shop" I used to do the installs on this plane. It had 9 work surfaces.

Name:	Old shop.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	68487

In between the last two contests I moved to a new house. The 3rd garage bay will be my future shop after I can figure out what to do with all this stuff.

Name:	Future shop.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	68488

Time for a backup plane?

Old 09-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #536
Dean Bird
TFC_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
There was a nasty cold front that moved through Southern California last weekend. That didn't stop about 24 crazy pilots from attending the Hemet Model Masters IMAC contest.
I hadn't flown since the Hemet contest back on the May 6th weekend. Bill Vargas was promoting his contest in Hesperia, California, the weekend of September 23rd. I wanted to meet Bill and get back to doing some flying. The conditions were beautiful all weekend.

We welcomed Kevin Duncan to the class. This was his first IMAC contest. He is a Masters class Pattern pilot.

The competition is always very close in the Advanced class. My flying buddy Jim McCall is a really consistent pilot and he won both sequences in the first round. It seems like I'm always flying from behind this year. It's actually more relaxing to be pursuing the leader. It's fairly nervous to be flying while you're defending a lead.

At the end of the day Saturday we were only 7 points apart out of 3,000 possible.

Name:	Victorville Day one.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	68672

It would be a duel in the Unknown on Sunday morning. Jim and I both had our Unknown called by our flying buddy, and expert caller, Jacques "flyracer" Telles. He did a perfect job and I was able to hold on to the lead and win 1st place in this contest. Thanks JT!!

Name:	2017-09-23 Victorville Hesperia Fall Challenge.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	68673

I was glad I got the plane out and flew with Bill Vargas in Hesperia. It's a nice field and the Saturday BBQ was excellent!!

Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #537
Dean Bird
TFC_SUPPORTER.png

Had a fun week at the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout. It has been several years since I was there judging. It was great to see everyone.

The Advanced class was a lot of fun. As pilots we had a great experience competing with each other.

- Kevin Duncan was flying a plane he bought three weeks earlier and he won our first Unknown. Very cool!!
- Dale Arnold sheared his prop bolts before our second Unknown. He borrowed a plane and won the Unknown with a plane he'd never flown before. Awesome!!
- I was calling for Jim McCall in our third Unknown. He had just called for me and watched me zero the simplest maneuver in our Unknown. We had a good laugh and I told him he saw the example of what NOT to do. He managed to find a different way to zero that same maneuver but still won our third Unknown. Good times!!
- Brian Strachan (pronounced "Strawn") was flying his backup Freestyle plane. It was a pleasure meeting this young man and getting a chance to talk with him.

I didn't win any of the Unknown rounds. Winning a majority of the Known rounds and staying close in the Unknowns was enough to take the top spot on the podium. Jim McCall took 2nd place and Dale Arnold took 3rd place. Yes, we're a bunch of old guys.

Name:	TAS Podium 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	68734

Name:	2017-10-22 Tucson Shootout.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	68725

Congratulations to all the pilots for a great competition. We had a lot of fun flying and calling for each other. It was a pleasure hanging with all you guys for the week.

HUGE "Thanks" to Dave Johnson, the Desert Aircraft employees, Kevin Garland (the CD), the invited judges, the TIMPA club member volunteers, and all the sponsors for making this TAS possible. It is an incredibly special event for the IMAC class pilots.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #538
Dean Bird
TFC_SUPPORTER.png

Congratulations to all these guys on their Tucson Shootout success with their Extra 330SCs.

- Spencer Nordquist won 2nd place in the Invitational class with his Romanian Scheme
- I won the Advanced class
- Jacob Campbell was on the podium (3rd place) in the Intermediate class with Dave Hargrove's Yellow Chequer Scheme
- Cayden Bruce won the Sportsman class with his Yellow Chequer Scheme
- Ryon Owens made the finals (5th place) in the Sportsman class with his custom color swapped Skydancer Scheme

Craig Guest (Advanced) and Dave Hargrove (Intermediate) also flew in the TAS with their Extra 330SCs.

It was awesome to see so many of this great flying, beautiful, plane at this special event.

Alex Dreiling won the Intermediate class with his at the 2015 Tucson Shootout.
Spencer Nordquist won the Unlimited class with his at the 2015 Tucson Shootout.

50% of the IMAC class wins at the last two Tucson Shootouts with four different pilots. Good stuff!!

Old 11-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #539
Dean Bird
TFC_SUPPORTER.png

The last three months have been a very unexpected whirlwind of activity. I had flown some local contests this spring and made a trip over to Hemet, CA, in early May to fly with Randy Dreyer. He beat me. I was in 2nd place for the year and didn't have plans to fly any more contests this year.

On August 14th I received an email from Kevin Garland, the CD for the Tucson Shootout, asking, "Would you be interested in flying? We need Advanced Pilots.". Since I hadn't flown in over 3 months I responded with, "How desperate are you?". He said, "Thanks. If you are able to do both judging Invitational and compete that would also help out.". I'm flying the Shootout. Woohoo. I was actually pumped up about flying this time instead of just judging.

I got a handful of practice flights and flew the Hesperia, CA, contest to get some contest nerves and some real Unknown nerves right before the Shootout. It felt good to be flying again. That contest was a success.

I had a great time at The Shootout seeing everyone that I only see when I'm judging the TAS, IMAC Nats, or IMAC Worlds. That contest turned out well.

I was already scheduled to judge at the IMAC World Championships next year. Heck, if I have to fly Unlimited next year I might as well try to qualify for the team and use that Unlimited practice as preparation. I convinced my wife to let me skip the Bruno Mars concert we had bought tickets to back in January so I could attend the World Qualifier contest. It did cost me tickets to Trans-Siberian Orchestra in December and Pink in March.

We had three pilots competing to qualify for one spot on Team USA. Jim McCall, David White, and myself all flew great. Jim and I split the two Known sequences in the first round and Jim had the lead. David and I split the two Known sequences in the second round. After two rounds we drop a sequence and I was slightly in the lead.

For the WC Qualifier we had an extra Unknown that was flown at the end of the day Saturday. David won that Unknown that was for the WC Qualifier but not part of the IMAC contest. I was last place for this Unknown but we were all very close (1000, 981, 978). At the end of the day Saturday the three of us were less than 22 points apart out of a possible 3,750. It was great competition between friends. We were having a lot of fun flying together in the perfect weather.

Name:	El Centro Day one.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	68750

Day Two was more typical "contest" conditions... windy. Jim McCall and I were calling for each other. He was keeping a close eye on the classes flying before us to see what the wind was doing to the planes. There were getting blown all over the place. He was trying to decide which way to snap to do the cross box humpty for positioning after getting blown off line.

The CARF-Models Extra 330SC was better than my competition in these "contest" conditions. It was easy to keep my geometry. I didn't really pay much attention to the wind because it wasn't having a significant impact while I was flying my second Unknown. This airframe's ability to better handle these "contest" conditions gave me a strong win in the Sunday morning Unknown, a win for the IMAC portion, and a win for the World Qualifier.

Name:	El Centro Final.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	68753

Name:	2017-11-04 El Centro.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	68749

My personal "Thanks" to Jim McCall for the great calling at the TAS and the World Qualifier, and to Jim and David for the great camaraderie and friendly competition. It was an absolute blast.

Wow!! After an email in August I had gone from no plans to fly this fall to flying three events in a six-week span, winning at the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout, and qualifying for the IMAC World Championships. Needless to say, this has made a big change to next year's plans.

Everyone have an awesome holiday season!! See you next year.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #540
Dean Bird
TFC_SUPPORTER.png

Congratulations to Spencer Nordquist. He won our WC Qualifier in the Unlimited class flying his Romanian Scheme and will represent Team USA at next year's IMAC World Championships.

Cayden Bruce will be on Team USA in the Sportsman class. He earned his spot on the team by winning 3rd place at the IMAC Nats flying his Yellow Chequer Scheme.

Congratulations guys!!