TeamFlyingCircus - Giant RC Plane Forum > Giant Scale RC Plane Forums > Engines > engine baffling

engine baffling

Engines

Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #31
Jedijody

Planes

Proud father of Soldiers
Liked 116 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Re: engine baffling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired Old Man View Post
Yea, Gerhard can be pretty excitable. When he starts getting tense it's time to do a lot of listening until he gets over it. He usually does and he always means well. Excitement goes hand in hand with passion and I'd rather have a person that's passionate about engines handling my engine needs than one that's indifferent. He'll give you a straight shot every time. The question is whether or not the customer has the ability to handle it.
Sounds familiar!

Now go outside and play!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #32
BRUTUS
TFC_MODERATOR.png

Plank Junky
Liked 203 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
What's the foam called that some have made baffling out of that's available at Michaels?
Foam board? It has paper sandwiching depron foam. I know with some of it you can just peel the paper off clean. Nice and light-without the paper on it...

WWW.VITAL-RC.COM

Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #33
Shawnlh

Low Chicken
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funboy View Post
Foam board? It has paper sandwiching depron foam. I know with some of it you can just peel the paper off clean. Nice and light-without the paper on it...
Thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #34
Tired Old Man
TFC_MODERATOR.png

Planes

Liked 376 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 31

With care, Depron can be heated with a heat gun to obtain a shape.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #35
Classclown

Banned
Liked 219 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky f. knuckle View Post
Well said, Pat!!!! I couldn't agree with you more on that. People mistake Gerhards passion for providing the best service he can for you over him giving you an attitude about it. I tell people to over look it, and everything will be fine!!
Hey, don't get me wrong. Gerhardt's cool in my book. He went out of his way to help me out, and your right, Pat got him pegged. I was just pointing out the fact that I wouldn't want to be one of his minions during his fits of passion..... LoL.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
Tired Old Man
TFC_MODERATOR.png

Planes

Age has a drawback. You come to the realization you no longer have time to waste dealing with B.S., political or otherwise, so you get to the point, you do it now, and you don't mince any words or try to salvage somebody's weak feelings. You find you have even less time for those that lack the ability to comprehend, so you ram it home once and walk away. If you REALLY care you try to explain once or twice more but after that frustration has already established itself and you have too many other things to do and focus on.

It gets even worse when you know you know your chit better than anyone else and they try to argue with you in attempts to prove you wrong to support their extremely weak position. At that point you have three choices: trash them with their own stupidity, lay them out flat with an abundance of facts, or walk away pi$$ed.

Then you have the group that just don't want to listen when what you have to say is of greatest import to them. So do you hit them in the face with a baseball bat to get their attention or just tell 'em to screw it?

Last edited by Tired Old Man; 03-28-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #37
Plowboy

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Just tell em to honk on bozo.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #38
Tired Old Man
TFC_MODERATOR.png

Planes

How ya been buddy?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 AM   #39
Plowboy

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired Old Man View Post
How ya been buddy?
I'm good Pat, thanks for asking. Life got a little nutty for a while but it's getting back to normal, at least a new normal. I'll still be too busy to spend much time flying and posting, but that's okay.

I miss my northwest flying buddies but I sure as Hell don't miss the northwest! I'm glad to be back where the sun shines again. Louisiana boys need a long growing season! All I did up there is work, fly and get fat. I've been gone a little over a year and I've lost over 50 pounds. I feel almost like my old self. That's dangerous!! Lol

I liked your drawing by the way. I'll be flying in much hotter weather here, so I may take another look at my own baffling. Wish I had an onboard temp gauge.

I know there are a lot of engine choices for arf manufactures to consider but I think they should consider making an optional baffle for the standard twin engines. They could route the air out in such a way as to allow for either stock exhaust or pipes fairly easily, IMO. Just saying.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #40
Tired Old Man
TFC_MODERATOR.png

Planes

A lot of choices but in reality only a few choices. DA, BME, 3w, MVVS, ZDZ. Everything else is laid out around the same 'floor plans". If we were to design baffles around the most popular engines the selections fall to DA and 3w, with most of the rest fitting the same engine lay out.

I really understand what you're saying about the Northwest. One of the most depressing climates I've ever encountered.

Someone else did the drawing, but it was indeed helpful for people.

Last edited by Tired Old Man; 03-31-2012 at 07:48 AM..