TeamFlyingCircus Shirt Giveaway - Winners Drawn

TeamFlyingCircus - Giant RC Plane Forum > Under The Big Top > Politics, Religion & Controversy > Political crap here.

Political crap here.

Politics, Religion & Controversy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #16181
TManiaci
TFC_MODERATOR.png

Planes

Engineer
Liked 97 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Default Re: Political crap here.

I'm sorry, but I have followed the green self-energy thing closely for years. The huge initial investment, plus the short lifespan (poor quality residential grade equipment) and maintenance costs of these green technologies does not provide a reasonable ROI, and in most cases doesn't even pay for themselves. People that get all warm and fuzzy about investing in this crap are being deceived. The reality is they don't save much, if anything, over the long haul. In fact, many people that don't have some skill in proper maintenance themselves end up losing considerably.

I know a number of people that had this problem. The problems with Solar are well known, and I specialized in that field at one time. Not much has changed in the last 20 years, except the systems got cheaper coming from China. With black-body solar collectors, the materials rot from UV far too quickly, and high quality UV resistant materials are extremely expensive and are not affordable for the average homeowner.

With parabolic reflective collectors, the optics and reflector systems get fouled rapidly with contamination and diminishing optical efficiency fairly quickly. They require constant and careful maintenance to last any reasonable period. Solar electrical panels are not much better.

Wind power is probably the best long-term winner for power conservation and payback. A simple technology that can last a reasonable period without major maintenance costs. But, unless you live in an area where there is a strong and consistent wind pattern, and your homeowners allow big fans in the air, your kinda screwed.

So, if you are willing to spend a ton of money just to be green, have at it. But, don't expect the payback that the sales scum feeds you to last. If the systems performed at "new install" efficiency over a much longer period, you would be golden. Unfortunately, that's not reality.

Wish I could be out flying right now....

TMan

Over 70 Flying Circus Videos HERE

Last edited by TManiaci; 11-04-2011 at 09:56 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #16182
TManiaci
TFC_MODERATOR.png

Planes

Engineer
Liked 97 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Our government at work... Overpaid idiots getting the best and most expensive benefits making the unemployment numbers "look" better... fuzzy liberal logic...

Quote:
'Bloated' Federal Workforce Rises 12% as Rest of US Goes Jobless

The federal workforce appears to be immune to the country’s worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, which has left 14 million Americans out of work.

Civilian unemployment has mushroomed, sticking above 9 percent for months, although many experts put the real figure in the 18-20 percent range. Meanwhile, the number of federal employees has grown 12 percent since the official start of the recession in December 2007, MSNBC reports, citing data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The Office of Personnel Management also estimates that there was a 14.8 percent increase in executive branch employees — that’s about 275,000 more — between September 2007 and June of 2011. That number does not include the Central Intelligence Agency and a few other government agencies.

At the same time, payroll employment in the United States dipped by nearly 5 percent, says MSNBC, proclaiming the federal headcount recession proof.

Consequently, the Washington-northern Virginia metropolitan area posted an unemployment rate of 6.1 percent in September — a full three percentage points below the national average. In addition to Virginia and Maryland, home to many federal workers in and around the nation’s capital, California and Texas also rank among the top four states for federal jobs.

Some GOP presidential hopefuls, including former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Texas Rep. Ron Paul, have pledged to cut the federal workforce if elected. Romney described the Defense Department as “bloated to the point of dysfunction,” while Paul proposed eliminating five Cabinet departments for a total of some 156,000 fewer jobs.

Wish I could be out flying right now....

TMan

Over 70 Flying Circus Videos HERE

Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #16183
Tired Old Man
TFC_MODERATOR.png

Planes

Liked 333 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceSteenburg View Post
I've bagged every cows a$$ for miles and collect the methane.
In Europe they also tax it under the carbon credit initiatives.

Sandy,

I won't even try to argue that population does not impact micro climate conditions at the very minimum. Southern California is a glaring example of how population density can impact an area climate. If not for the people in SoCal the area would still be a semi arid desert. Because of that population the rest of California and neighboring states have experienced heavy impacts on their ecology, also likely impacting their area climates in reduced open water surface areas alone.

As for homeowners associations in California and what they are forbidden to interfere with, I used to be a part of the solar industry when associations did all they could to block anything they could, so I know what they can and can't do. Have your friend try to alter a SoCal tract home to resemble what he lives in now. I'll bet he would not even be able to get the color of his home accepted by an association. Lest we forget, red is about the best color out there for natural energy conversion. Put up a couple of windmills and watch the chit fly.

Yes, we in the U.S. can cut back to a point where we are living off the land, wearing loin cloths and gnawing the bark off of trees with our canines, but is the rest of the world going to join us? Highly unlikely. Are we going to attempt to limit their progress or are they just going to try and profit from limiting our progress? I think the intent is to generate unbelievable amounts of revenue from those already developed countries and funnel it into the pockets of undeveloped countries, and a great many political and financial leaders is a more realistic outlook.

I don't believe for a second their is genuine concern about the climate or ecology. The only concern is about how to turn a large profit on them while providing an appearence of concern. If there was no money in the deal there would be no fanfare to attract attention. It's a scare tactic being used to capture the little minds, and wallets, of little people. Always follow the money and one has a tendency to learn the truth behind many things.

Last edited by Tired Old Man; 11-04-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #16184
Tired Old Man
TFC_MODERATOR.png

Planes

Liked 333 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 31

TMan,

I'm with you all the way with the cost effectiveness of most "renewable" energy sources. When I was still actively participating in the field there was no way I could sell the stuff based upon ROI or efficiency. No matter how you tried it didn't pencil out unless you were willing to expend many tens of thousands of dollars while receiving tax credits to offset the capital expenditures. In effect, what was being sold were tax credits carried by an interest rate that was far below market. SoCal gas was financing the stuff at 2% over 20 years while automatically accepting last position on the trust deed with systems that came with a 55% tax credit.

The same applies today. Take away the financial incentives provided by your neighbors via the government and few would even consider a renewable energy source unless they lived too far off the grid to make installation of normal utilities reasonably affordable. Banks love renewable energy so much they won't finance a home where the sole power sources are wind or solar. There has to be either utility grid or back up generator power.

If you cannot generate 100% of your power needs 100% of the time from a renewable source it's just not cost effective. I know people that do so but I also know what they invested in equipment costs, along with the constant attention required to maintain the systems. As you say, they require a lot of attention to maintain reasonable functionality.

Last edited by Tired Old Man; 11-04-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #16185
RTK

Liked 115 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso View Post
Well I found a paper the claims just the opposite of that. And at least I can post the reference.

Former Skeptic now believer in Global Warming

2. Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature study, Influence of Urban Heating on the Global Temperature Land Average Using Rural Sites Identified from MODIS Classifications
Wouldn't matter if I posted my source anyway, liberals and other like minded individuals always feel their references trump all others.......................

Old 11-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #16186
BryceSteenburg

"Where would we be withou
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought a house in Colorado from the owner of a Solar Company. The house was completely retrofitted with a hot water solar system with huge panels facing south on the roof of the garage. I really liked the hot water heat in winter and cool exchange for summer. The floors had the water tubes and base board hot water heat. It did work pretty good and did help with the utility bill. There were many zones to it and it had to have a big utility closet all its own for the maze of pipes and wiring. There were three huge storage tanks installed in the crawl space below the house. Basically it was figure out how to set each zone and then forget about it. I sold the house after a few years for 2 major reasons, one was a better pay in a different area of the US and the solar system was getting on in age. I did not need to sell but I knew the time would be coming in the near future for some maintainance (no biggy) but I was also nervous about it starting to breakdown and cost some real money to fix or replace. I sold it to some treehuggers... they were the first to see the house and they bought it three weeks later, the solar clinched the deal the first time they walked in. I told them of my concerns with it but also said I liked it. I heard 4 years later they had it all removed and went back on the grid as normal.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #16187
RTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TManiaci View Post
I'm sorry, but I have followed the green self-energy thing closely for years. The huge initial investment, plus the short lifespan (poor quality residential grade equipment) and maintenance costs of these green technologies does not provide a reasonable ROI, and in most cases doesn't even pay for themselves. People that get all warm and fuzzy about investing in this crap are being deceived. The reality is they don't save much, if anything, over the long haul. In fact, many people that don't have some skill in proper maintenance themselves end up losing considerably.

I have known of two people that did the "green" thing a few years back, one out of necessity and the other supposedly for saving.

My friend converted their house to solar for electricity and was completely off of the grid for electric power but not gas. They invested $50,000 dollars!!!! Now since their regular monthly electric bill was about $200 I see it taking them about 20 YEARS to recoup the initial investment not counting maintenance or new batteries. NOT VERY WISE

The other is at a crop dusting strip in the boonies where I occasionally fly, He uses wind and solar, has had nothing but problems, curses the set up on a regular basis and still runs generators from time to time.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #16188
RTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TManiaci View Post
Our government at work... Overpaid idiots getting the best and most expensive benefits making the unemployment numbers "look" better... fuzzy liberal logic...
Completely indefensible and sickening!!!!!!!!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #16189
BRUTUS
TFC_MODERATOR.png

Liked 167 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Ok- slightly off topic, but have you guys been paying attention to Bitcoins?

Bitcoin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bitcoin, Silk Road, and Lulzsec oh my!

The Underground Website Where You Can Buy Any Drug Imaginable

Everyone Wants Bitcoins After Learning They Can Buy Drugs With Them

Some say this will topple governments. Hmmm... Decentralized money; The peoples money, or the first true world currency?

WWW.VITAL-RC.COM

Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #16190
RTK

I doubt that drug site will last very long, either that or it is another fast and furious type of sting